The Open Center has limited openings in both classrooms for Fall 2013. Please contact us to learn more about the program, and schedule a visit to tour the classrooms and meet our teachers.
For information about enrollment and to download an application, visit the Enrollment page.
in Somerville, Massachusetts the Open Center for Children was founded in 1972 guided by the belief that children
learn much of what they need to know through play. Our program
is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) and provides an enriched play environment in a warm, nurturing atmosphere
where children can feel good about themselves. We emphasize social,
emotional and language development through a wide range of learning
We strive to create a learning atmosphere that inspires children to
become motivated, self-directed learners
feel competent in their skills and abilities
nurture their creativity
feel a sense of belonging and responsibility to the center’s community
develop trusting relationships with adults and children
respect and appreciate diversity
understand the concept of “fairness” and develop conflict resolution skills
The Open Center offers 3 and 5 day enrollment options for children ages 2.3 - 5 years of age.
What You Can Expect to See at the Open Center
• A nationally accredited (NAEYC) program with over 40 years of experience
providing quality care for children ages 2 to 5 years old
• A stable, well-educated professional staff who love working with children
and supporting their growth
• A play-based curriculum that encourages children to do what they do
naturally – PLAY!
• A learning environment that prepares children for school by helping them
develop strong social as well as cognitive skills
• Free enrichment activities such as music, yoga and Nature Club
• An assessment system tracking each child’s development in mastering
specific goals and sharing those achievements with parents on a regular
• Cozy classrooms with a relaxed atmosphere and outdoor activities twice a
day (weather permitting)
• A small program with an average 1:5 ratio that encourages the development
of a sense of community among children, parents and staff
• Fun, voluntary, family-oriented activities scheduled one weekend each month
children had some of the best experiences of their lives while they
were at Open Center because of the friendships they made, the teachers
who guided them and the activities they participated in."
Open Center For Children - email@example.com 155 Powderhouse Blvd., Somerville MA 02144 - (617) 628-3891