Families seeking to enroll in the Open Center are encouraged to come to our Open House or schedule a visit about nine months before the year you are interested in enrolling your child. Most spaces are enrolled by the spring and mid-year openings rarely occur. These visits allow parents to speak with teachers, observe teacher-child interactions, gain knowledge about the classroom environment and begin to understand classroom expectations. If a family feels that the program is a good “fit” for their child, they submit an application with a non-refundable application fee. We typically enroll families as they apply for the following year, but we do attempt to create classrooms that are balanced by sex and age. Upon acceptance, parents are required to submit a deposit of one month’s tuition within 10 days to secure the space for their child; the deposit is credited towards the child’s last month of tuition providing all requirements of the enrollment contract are met. We try to keep our enrollment process low-key, comfortable and stress-free. Most children are enrolled, but occasionally a small number of children must be wait-listed until an opening occurs.
Click here to send us your information or email the Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will receive a reply from the Director within two business days of submitting your information.
- We hold tours in January and begin scheduling them in late November. The director will contact you to schedule your tour-a visit from 8:30-9:30- without your child. During that time you will be able to observe how the teachers and children interact, see the classrooms, watch activities, and speak with the director. We will also provide you with the names and contact information for some current families who are willing to speak with you about their experiences at the Center.
- If you feel that the program might be a good fit for your family, you submit an application with a $40 non-refundable application fee. This application and fee places your child on the list for enrollment.
- Information about availability is available as early as January 31 or as late as March 15. The Director will contact you when there is a space available for your child. You will have 10 days to accept the spot.
We enroll children from 27 months to 5 years-old, as of September 1.
Hours and Scheduling Options
The center is open year-round with the exceptions noted below. We are open Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m.
Tuition is set by the Parent Advisory Board each spring for the following fall. Tuition increases go into effect September 1st each year.
Tuition for the 2020-2021 academic year (beginning September 8, 2020) is:
- Green Room
- 5 days/week: $2,175 per month (+ temporary COVID19 surcharge of $300/month)
- Blue Room
- 5 days/week: $1,952 per month (+ temporary COVID19 surcharge of $300/month)
Tuition for the 2021-2022 school year will be set by the Parent Advisory Board in February/March of 2021.
Tuition is paid in advance on a monthly basis.
The Open Center operates on a year-round basis and staff is hired on an annual basis. As a result, we require that families sign a one-year contract with the center that is renewable upon agreement by the center and the family. The contract covers the period from September 1st (or your child’s start date) through the following August 31st.
This contract includes both the obligations of the parents and the responsibilities of the center as partners in a child care placement. The financial obligation for the 12-month period will remain in place until another child is enrolled in the empty slot. Feel free to speak with the Director about any questions you may have regarding this contract.
We are closed for the following holidays in 2020-2021:
- Labor Day: September 8, 2020
- Professional Development Day: October 9, 2020
- Indigenous Peoples’ Day: October 12, 2020
- Veterans Day: November 11, 2020
- Thanksgiving (Thursday and Friday): November 26-27, 2020
- Winter Break (Christmas through New Year’s Day): December 24, 2020-January 1, 2021
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day: January 18, 2021
- Presidents’ Day: February 15, 2021
- Professional Development Day: April 2, 2021
- Patriot’s Day: April 19, 2021
- Memorial Day: May 31, 2021
- Independence Day: July 5, 2021 (observed)
- The week before Labor Day for teacher prep: August 30-September 3, 2021
We follow the Somerville Public Schools for closures due to inclement weather.
We arrange for newly enrolled children to visit the center with a parent once or twice before they begin attending the program; this allows them to meet the teachers and other children and to become familiar with their new classroom. It helps children to already have a friend or at least a familiar face prior to starting school. Families are also given a roster with the names and phone numbers of the children in their child’s classroom and are encouraged to arrange to meet other families over the summer.